- The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records, including financial records. Without the appropriate student information releases, student account and academic records cannot be discussed with a parent, guardian, spouse or other parties. Information releases for academic, account and financial aid information are completed through the Student Center.
To change or update your information releases:
- Click on Student Information Release in the Personal Information section of your personalized My Buckeye Link page, available via buckeyelink.osu.edu.
- Fill in the requested Designee Information, including a unique access code of your choice for each designee to use to validate their identity when seeking information about you from the university.
- Check the appropriate releases for each designee (you can select more than one release per designee)
- Click the “Add” button to list multiple designees.
Note: Any adjustments or changes made through My Buckeye Link will replace and void all releases previously on file.
Please be aware: by completing the Student Information Release you are only allowing the person to have Information. All account action MUST be initialized by the student.
Ohio State is not required to have consent before releasing directory information, which includes your name, contact information, major and more. You do, however, have the right to restrict the release of this information.
To restrict the release of directory information:
- Click on Student Information Release in the Personal Information section of your personalized My Buckeye Link, available at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external).
- Go to the Withhold Directory Information tab, read the disclaimer, select “I wish to withhold the release of my Directory Information” and click Save.
Note: By selecting “I wish to withhold the release of my Directory Information,” Ohio State is prohibited from releasing information to anyone, including YOU – THE STUDENT unless in-person with a valid photo ID. Anyone requesting information on your record will be told that there is no record.