Federal Title IV Student Permissions

Federal regulations allow The Ohio State University to apply your Title IV federal financial aid funds to your institutional charges such as tuition, course and program fees, technology and site-based fees, and housing and meal plan charges. Title IV federal financial aid includes Pell grants, Direct Student loans, TEACH and SEOG grants.

For charges such as student health insurance or orientation fees, Ohio State requires students to complete a one-time authorization, granting permission for federal Title IV funds to apply to these charges.

To complete the federal Title IV authorization please:

  1. Go to buckeyelink.osu.edu and click on the Title IV Permissions task in Financial Aid.
  2. Log in with your Ohio State name.# and password, click the Grant Permissions button and follow instructions. You will see a confirmation page when completed.

While the completion of the authorization is optional, students who do not complete it may have unpaid charges on their student account, which may result in an outstanding balance, holds, and late fees.  

Financial Aid Application Restrictions

Due to Department of Education regulations, federal Title IV aid may not be allowed to apply toward all charges on a student account.

Charges such as late payment and registration fees, payment plan (TOPP) enrollment fees, housing penalties, and some select non-tuition based charges are not eligible to be paid by federal Title IV funds, even if a student grants permission by completing the authorization. These charges and fees must be paid by other means in order to prevent holds and possible finance charges from occurring.

Additional FAQs about Student Permissions for Title IV Aid

How do I grant permission/authorization?

  • Log in to your My Buckeye Link via buckeyelink.osu.edu.
  • Click on "other financial" at the bottom left of the Finances section and select View Student Permissions from the drop-down menu.
  • Click on Grant Permissions and follow the instructions.

How often do I have to complete the permission/authorization?

Only once. It will remain valid for current and future years unless you rescind it.

Do I have to complete this permission/authorization?

No, you are not required to provide this authorization. However, if your authorization is not received prior to the disbursement of financial aid for the term, Title IV funds may not be applied to all charges, which may result in an outstanding balance that will cause late fees to be assessed if not paid by the due date

What is Title IV aid?

Title IV federal financial aid includes Pell Grants, Direct Student Loans, Perkins Loans and TEACH and SEOG grants.

What fees can Title IV aid apply to without my authorization?

Examples include: Instructional, General, Non-Resident, Program, Course and Class, Technology, Housing Room and Board, etc.

What fees require my authorization to allow Title IV funds to apply to them?

Examples: Student Health Insurance, BUCKID, and  Orientation.

What fees are not eligible for Title IV funds to apply?

Examples include: late payment fee, late registration fee, housing penalties, payment plan (TOPP) enrollment fee, department receivables, finance charges, etc.

How can I rescind my authorization?

By contacting Buckeye Link in person or by emailing buckeyelink@osu.edu using your Buckeye Mail account.

Is authorization also required for Parent PLUS loans?

Yes authorization is also required for the Parent PLUS loan. This authorization will automatically flow from the submitted Parent PLUS loan application data:

  • If the parent has authorized on the PLUS loan application, no further action is needed.
  • If the parent did not authorize on the PLUS loan application, the parent will need to contact Buckeye Link to change their PLUS loan authorization status.

If the parent did not authorize on the PLUS loan application, the parent will need to contact Buckeye Link in writing (email) to change their PLUS loan authorization status.

Ohio State reserves the right to change how federal Title IV financial aid is applied on student accounts, based on continued guidance and recommendations from the Department of Education.

Need help?

Buckeye Link can assist with the Statement of Account, financial aid, tuition payment options, registration challenges and more.

Student Academic Services Bldg., Lobby
281 W. Lane Ave.
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Email: buckeyelink@osu.edu
Phone: 614-292-0300
Fax: 614-292-5587