Bursar FAQ

Enter text to search for in collapsible content below, then press tab key to browse results.

No results found.

General Student Financial Information

Displaying 1 - 5 of 5

Why do I have a hold?

  1. An administrative hold may be placed on your account if you fail to comply in a reasonable period of time with an obligation imposed under university rules, or if you have an overdue debt or fine. An administrative hold will cause certain services to be withheld, including obtaining current term grades, registering or enrolling, receiving a transcript or borrowing books or equipment.
  2. If you have a hold on your record, it will be visible in the Holds box in the upper right corner of your personalized My Buckeye Link at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external). Details about each hold are listed in the Details link, including contact information and instructions you will need to follow to clear the hold.
  3. If you have completed the instructions in My Buckeye Link for each hold and still have questions, contact Buckeye Link for assistance(link is external).

Students with administrative holds will be denied certain services, including, but not limited to, registration, receipt of grades, transcripts or diplomas, denial of library or recreational services, denial of football ticket pickup. Students with holds who attempt to graduate will not be processed or receive their diplomas until their hold is cleared.

What is the Financial Responsibility Statement?

The Financial Responsibility Statement outlines the terms and conditions of the financial responsibilities and obligations associated with attending The Ohio State University.

Because certain eligibility is required and must be maintained in order to have the cost of attending Ohio State covered by other means, students who have their cost of attendance paid by graduate fee authorizations, appointments, sponsorship, scholarships, or other third-parties are ultimately financially responsible for these costs. As such, all students must agree to the Financial Responsibility Statement each term for which they are enrolled. Students who do not complete the Financial Responsibility Statement prior to registering each term will have a Registration Lock Hold placed on their account, preventing them from registering, adding courses, or moving off a wait-list. Once the statement is completed for the term, the hold is removed.

All students must agree to a Financial Responsibility Statement prior to registering for classes each term.
Students will have a Registration Hold until the statement is complete

Financial Responsibility Terms & Conditions

Who do I contact if I have a question about my Statement of Account?

Please contact Buckeye Link via email at buckeyelink@osu.edu or via phone at 614-292-0300.

How do I view my Statement of Account?

To view your statement of account:

  1. Go to buckeyelink.osu.edu
  2. Click on the Statement of Account task located in Payments and Refunds
  3. Select the term.

You may need to disable your pop-up blocker on your browser or phone to view your Statement of Account.

For questions about your Statement of Account, please contact Buckeye Link via email at buckeyelink@osu.edu or via phone at 614-292-0300.

Payments, Payment Options, and TOPP

Displaying 1 - 7 of 7

How can I make an electronic payment?

Current students – (if you are currently enrolled in classes or still have access to your Student Center account via buckeyelink)

  1. Go to buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external).
  2. Click Payment in Payments and Refunds and choose from the options listed

Electronic check payments: Make an online payment from your checking or savings account using your routing and account numbers. The account must be located within the United States.

Credit cards: Ohio State currently accepts Discover, Master Card, VISA and American Express. Note: A 2.75% non-refundable convenience fee is charged by the credit card company per transaction.

Please note: On-line/ePayments MAY NOT be made using credit card checks, from a home equity line of credit account, investment account, or a money market account.

To avoid paying the 2.75% convenience fee for card transactions, please consider using ePayment (ACH) check. You will need your bank account and routing number to complete the transaction.

Payments made with debit-only cards will be rejected by the bank, as OSU is only able to accept Credit and Debit/Credit cards. Debit/Credit cards will be assessed the 2.75% convenience fee.

Foreign currency: Make an online payment using foreign currency. Note: Currency conversion rates are updated daily and are effective for 72 hours after the point of transaction. Foreign currency ePayments are pending until the wire transfer of funds from the bank is completed.

Past due students – (If you have a past due balance, are no longer attending classes and no longer can access My Buckeye Link or have no affiliation with The Ohio State University.)
If you have your account number and pin number located on the bottom of your bill, an electronic payment may be made by following these steps:

  1. Go to bursar.osu.edu
  2. Under the University Bursar drop down menu select Make a Payment
  3. Select Prior Students Pay Here
  4. Enter your account number and password*

*if you do not know your account number or password, please call 614-292-1056 option 2.

Where do I send my external scholarship checks?

Requirements to receive external scholarship funds:

The Ohio State University assumes full-time enrollment is required for all external scholarships.  Please include term of attendance and distribution of funds.  Funds will be applied to one term only unless documentation specifies otherwise. For more information please view our External Aid Resource Guide.

To ensure proper processing, external scholarships should be mailed to the following location:

Office of the University Bursar – External Scholarships
The Ohio State University
PO Box 183248
Columbus, OH 43218-3248

Each item should include the student’s name and OSU ID number.

How do I allow an individual or organization to make a payment to my account?

The Guardian ePay(link is external) functionality allows a student to permit parents, guardians, or others to make a payment to their tuition and fees account.

  1. Sign into My Buckeye Link at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external).
  2. Under the Finances section click Guardian Setup
  3. Click Guardian Setup
  4. Scroll down to Managing Guardian Logins 
  5. Select Add New
  6. Fill in the following information
    1. Guardian Username (this is what the user will use when logging in each time)
    2. Email address of the Guardian
    3. Confirm the Guardian’s email address
    4. Add a note to the welcome email (optional)
  7. Answer Yes* to the question: should this person be allowed to log in?

*if you would like to revoke someone’s access select No to this question

How does the Tuition Option Payment Plan (TOPP) work?

Ohio State’s Tuition Option Payment Plan (TOPP) allows students and their families to divide the cost of tuition, housing, and fees into installment payments for autumn and spring semesters.  To participate, students must sign up for TOPP each semester and pay a non-refundable $30 enrollment fee.

Students can enroll in TOPP through My Buckeye Link once fees are calculated for the term through the second Friday of classes. Note: Late fee payment penalties up to $300 will still apply to the first unpaid TOPP installment. Subsequently $25 TOPP late fees will be applied to the second and third installments if they are not paid by the TOPP due date.

To enroll:

  1. Sign into My Buckeye Link at buckeyelink.osu.edu.
  2. In the Finances section, select Enroll in Payment Plan from the drop-down menu.
  3. Select the payment plan and click Next.
  4. Review the installment schedule and click Next.
  5. Agree to the terms of the payment plan and click Enroll.
  6. Review your confirmation page.

How TOPP works:

  • Only current term charges not covered by financial aid can be included in TOPP.
  • In order to be eligible for TOPP, you must have an outstanding balance after aid disburses of at least $150.
  • The first TOPP installment is due on the initial payment due date, which is usually seven days prior to the first day of class. The remaining payments are due about every 30 days (see table).

The preferred method for paying tuition and fees, including TOPP payments, is online from a checking or savings account, but Ohio State accepts MasterCard, Discover, VISA and American Express. For details and payment options, go to: Payment Options.

How to make payments:

Important financial responsibilities and penalties:

  • All TOPP installments must be paid on or before the due date (see table)
  • Failure to pay the first installment by the assigned due dates will result in late fees ($200, increasing to $300 for failure to pay by the 2nd Friday of classes).
  • Students who fail to pay the first installment by the 2nd Friday of classes may be dropped from all enrollments for non-payment. Students must pay all charges to be re-enrolled.
  • Failure to pay a subsequent installment by the listed due date will result in late fees and a hold, which will cause services to be withheld, including obtaining grades, registering or enrolling, receiving a transcript, or borrowing books or equipment.

Late fees, including fees assessed on behalf of University Residences and Dining Services, and fees for returned checks and associated charges, cannot be paid in installments and are due immediately.

Why was my check returned?

  • Non-sufficient funds (NSF)
  • Account closed
  • Lack of information
  • Suspicion of fraud
  • Stale date
  • Customer placed stop payment

What happens if my payment was returned?
A $30 returned check charge will be assessed to your account and the outstanding balance will be due immediately.

What checks are unacceptable forms of payment?

  • Counter Check A non-personalized, non-encoded check that is available at most banks.
  • Starter Check – A non-personalized check that a person receives from a bank when they establish a new checking account. These are for the person’s use prior to receiving encoded checks from the bank.
  • Third Party Check – A check made payable to a person or organization other than the one accepting or cashing the check (for example, a paycheck).
  • Foreign Check (unless there are exceptional circumstances) – A check written on a foreign bank (e.g., a Canadian bank) not specifically prepared as U.S. currency. Contact the Office of Financial Services if a foreign check is received. If a foreign check is accepted, complete a Foreign Check Transmittal Form and contact the Office of Financial Services, Bank Reconciliations at 292-4822 for instructions.

What are acceptable checks with proper identification?

  • Cashier’s Check – A check purchased at a bank for any amount; the bank completes all information on the face of the check with a bank officer signing as the maker.
  • Certified Check – A personal check guaranteed by the bank; the check is stamped “certified” and signed by a bank officer.
  • Money Order An item purchased at a bank, post office, or other business establishment for any amount up to and including $200. The bank completes only the amount information.
  • Traveler’s Check A special check supplied by banks or other companies for the use of travelers; these checks already bear the purchaser’s signature and must be countersigned in the cashier’s presence.
  • Personal Check A written order payable on demand, drawn on a bank by a depositor; a personal check is written against an individual’s funds as opposed to a cashier’s check, certified check, money order, or traveler’s check, all of which are written against bank funds

Student Permissions and Guardian Pay Access

Displaying 1 - 5 of 5

How do I reset my Guardian ePay password?

  1. Log into My Buckeye Link 
  2. Under the Finances section click Guardian Setup
  3. Click Guardian Setup
  4. Scroll down to Managing Guardian Logins 
  5. Select Edit next to the account you would like to reset
  6. Select Reset Password

*Only students have access to reset a Guardian ePay password.

What is Guardian ePay?

The Guardian ePay(link is external) functionality allows a student to permit parents, guardians, or others to make a payment to their tuition and fees account.

See step-by-step instructions(link is external).

How can I grant access to my information (SIR) Student Information Release?

  • The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records, including financial records. Without the appropriate student information releases, student account and academic records cannot be discussed with a parent, guardian, spouse or other parties. Information releases for academic, account and financial aid information are completed through the Student Center.

To change or update your information releases:

  • Click on Student Information Release in the Personal Information section of your personalized My Buckeye Link page, available via buckeyelink.osu.edu.
  • Fill in the requested Designee Information, including a unique access code of your choice for each designee to use to validate their identity when seeking information about you from the university.
  • Check the appropriate releases for each designee (you can select more than one release per designee)
  • Click the “Add” button to list multiple designees.

Note: Any adjustments or changes made through My Buckeye Link will replace and void all releases previously on file.

Please be aware: by completing the Student Information Release you are only allowing the person to have Information. All account action MUST be initialized by the student.

Ohio State is not required to have consent before releasing directory information, which includes your name, contact information, major and more. You do, however, have the right to restrict the release of this information.

To restrict the release of directory information:

  • Click on Student Information Release in the Personal Information section of your personalized My Buckeye Link, available at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external).
  • Go to the Withhold Directory Information tab, read the disclaimer, select “I wish to withhold the release of my Directory Information” and click Save.

Note: By selecting “I wish to withhold the release of my Directory Information,” Ohio State is prohibited from releasing information to anyone, including YOU – THE STUDENT unless in-person with a valid photo ID. Anyone requesting information on your record will be told that there is no record.

What is the Student Information Release?

The Student Information Release page enables you to designate individuals and organizations to whom The Ohio State University can release information. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) governs the release of educational records to third parties. By completing the Student Information Release you ensure that Ohio State can discuss your information with others (such as parents, spouses and third parties) whom you wish to have access.

See step-by-step instructions(link is external)

How do I grant permission for Title IV aid to pay all charges on Statement of Account?

  1. Go to buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external)
  2. Click the Title IV Permissions task in Payments and Refund
  3. Click Grant Permissions and follow the prompts.

For more information, see Student Permission for Title IV

Refunds and Direct Deposit

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4

How can I set up Direct Deposit?

  1. Sign into My Buckeye Link at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external)
  2. Select the Account Refund link under the finances section of your Student Center.
  3. Select Transfer. The CashNet page will open in a new window or tab.
  4. In the Direct Deposit section, select Enroll in Direct Deposit.
  5. Enter account information into the following fields:
    1. Name of this Account
    2. Account Holder Name
    3. Account Type
    4. New Account Number
    5. Confirm Account Number
    6. Routing Transit Number: Routing numbers can be found at the bottom of a check or contact the bank for the information. Additional information can be found by selecting What are my Routing Transit and Account numbers?
  6. Select Continue.
  7. Review the terms and conditions and select the agree check box.
  8. Select Submit.

How do I change my direct deposit account information?

  1. Sign into My Buckeye Link at buckeyelink.osu.edu(link is external)
  2. Select the Account Refund link under the finances section of your personalized My Buckeye Link.
  3. Select Transfer. The Cashnet page will open in a new window or tab.
  4. Select the Edit link in the Direct Deposit box.
  5. Select Edit on the current account.
  6. Enter the new account information and select
  7. Read and indicate your agreement to the terms and conditions and check the agree box.
  8. Select Submit

I overpaid. When do I get my refund?

  • Refunds are issued via direct deposit(link is external) or check.
  • Refunds issued via direct deposit (link is external)are processed by CashNet.
  • Refunds issued via direct deposit(link is external) are typically in your bank account within 2-5 business days.
  • Refunds issued via check are processed through Chase. Allow 7-10 business days for paper checks to be received.
  • Please note:  Paper check payments are held for 21 days and electronic check payments are held for 10 days from the date posted to the student account, before they are eligible to be refunded.

Why did my credit card payment get refunded?

In order to comply with credit card industry standards, please be aware that when paying by a credit card, any potential refunds may be credited back to the source card. This includes any refunds generated from a financial aid disbursement, after a credit card payment is made.

As a result of this, the use of gift cards, when making a payment, is discouraged.

Form 1098-T

Displaying 1 - 1 of 1

Where can I learn more about Form 1098-T?

Please visit the Form 1098-T page for more information.

Entrance Counseling (Perkins, University and Health Profession) and Exit Interviews

Displaying 1 - 5 of 5

How do I make payment on my Perkins, University, or Health Profession loan?

Loan repayment begins for Perkins, University and Health Profession loans at the conclusion of the grace period for each loan. The grace period is a period of time after borrowers graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment when they are not required to make payments. The total amount of the loan, plus accrued interest and any collection costs must be repaid.

All loan payments are due on the 25th of each month.
Payments (checks or money orders with your account number) can be made payable to:

The Ohio State University/ECSI
PO Box 718
Wexford, PA 15090

To make an on-line payment, simply access the website of ECSI at www.heartlandecsi.com(link is external) and click the Manage Your Loan Payment,  log-in by using the following information:

School Code: 59
Account Number:  Your nine-digit Social Security number
PIN: Located on your bill*
*If you do not have a bill, please contact ECSI’s Customer Service at (888) 549-3274.

What is ECSI?

The Ohio State University has contracted with Educational Computer Systems, Inc. (ECSI) to generate your monthly billing statements, process your loan payments and provide customer service for your University and campus-based Federal loans. ECSI is committed to protecting the confidentiality of information that individuals entrust to the company. Therefore, ECSI does not sell personal information about current or former borrowers to anyone. Safeguard provisions have been instituted to ensure compliance with the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLBA). For further information regarding ECSI, please login to http://borrower.ecsi.net.(link is external)

ECSI Customer Service
Email: cservice@ecsi.net
Phone: (888) 549-3274

Services provided by ECSI:

  • Electronic or phone payments
  • Promissory note completion
  • Exit Interview
  • Address change (also needed by OSU)
  • Forbearances
  • Deferments
  • Postponements
  • Cancellations

How do I sign my University, Health Profession or Nursing Promissory note?

The Ohio State University signs all University and Health Profession loans electronically via ECSI.

You will need the following information:

  1. Social Security Number
  2. Last Name
  3. Date of Birth

Login Now(link is external)

For questions:
Email: cservice@ecsi.net
Phone: 1-888-549-3274

How do I complete my Exit Interview?

Online exit interviews are required for all borrowers of University and campus-based Federal loans when the borrower is graduating or no longer enrolled at least half-time (excluding the summer term).
Complete the Exit Interview by logging into http://borrower.ecsi.net(link is external).
To access your exit interview, you will need the following information:

  • Ohio State’s School Code (59)
  • Your account number (social security number)
  • Password (your PIN)
  • To obtain your pin number, contact ECSI at (888) 549-3274
  • Click on “My Account Menu”
  • Go to My Account and then click on “Exit Interview”

Loan payments begin following the Grace Period of your loan. A Grace Period is that period of time after the borrower graduates or ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. Grace periods can range between 0-12 months, depending on the type of loan. Failure to complete the exit interview(s) will result in a hold being placed on your account which can prevent the borrower from obtaining transcripts, grades, diplomas and blocking future registration.

University Receivables and Collections

Displaying 1 - 3 of 3

What is the Departmental User Guide?

Departments that sell goods and services to students, employees, and external customers (individuals and organizations) must record accounts receivable as well.

Per the Office of Business and Finance Policy 5.14 – Accounts Receivable, if a receivable remains uncollected after 90 days (120 days after the original due date), the department is REQUIRED to transfer the receivable to the Office of the University Bursar (OUB) for collection.

The Department Collections User guide will walk you through the steps needed to transfer your uncollected receivables to OUB and the subsequent steps OUB will take to collect these receivables.

For additional questions, please contact Collections@osu.edu

How do I contact the Ohio Attorney General?

The Office of the Ohio Attorney General assists The Ohio State University in the collection of delinquent accounts.  If you have received communication from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office for a delinquent debt, please contact their office at:


How can I make payment arrangements?

Payment arrangements can be reviewed by contacting the Collections department in the Office of the University Bursar at (614)292-1056 and press prompt number 2.  A collector will work with you to establish the best option for repayment.

Need help?

Buckeye Link can assist with the Statement of Account, financial aid, tuition payment options, registration challenges and more.

Student Academic Services Bldg., Lobby
281 W. Lane Ave.
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Email: buckeyelink@osu.edu
Phone: 614-292-0300
Fax: 614-292-5587

Contact Bursar

Office of the University Bursar
P.O. Box 183248
Columbus, Ohio 43218-3248

Phone: 614-292-1056
Fax: 614-292-1106

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 8am - 4pm
Friday 9am - 4pm