The Surplus Department is responsible for the disposition of Ohio State property in accordance with university policy. Methods of disposition include, department transfer, public sale, public auction, recycle, and trash. In order to manage the disposition and maximize the return services are provided as described below.
JUNE 24, 2022 OPERATIONS UPDATE
Surplus is open and operational for department Surplus requests, however, due to extremely high volume, we are experiencing long delays.
For information on Department Transfers, please see the Department Transfers section below.
Public sales have been moved to online purchases only through GovDeals. Please check both our Auction sites on GovDeals.
- GovDeals Auction Site: Ohio State University Surplus Department, OH
- Buy It Now Site: Ohio State University Online Storefront, OH
GovDeal pickups are being scheduled by appointment only. Building access is being kept to a minimum and allowed only by permission. Masks are required for all pickups.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns: email@example.com
I want to...
Surplus Property System upgrades
New functionality for the Surplus Property System (SPS) is on the way, incorporating significant improvements to accessibility, ease of use, and appearance. Equipment coordinators, asset managers, and fiscal associates throughout the university are invited to take a BuckeyeLearn training course to learn more before the changeover in early June.
Transfer Day Information – OSU Surplus Department
Transfer days are held on the first working Monday of each month. The next one will be on November 1, 2021. We have not fully opened all of our services up, but we have been helping departments that are in need of specific office items. With this modified service, departments are asked to schedule a time to come view the transfer items on the first working Monday of each month. There will be limited spaces available, so please plan and schedule viewing times prior to that Monday. Please contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-688-3545 to schedule. All selected items must be picked up by 12:00pm on Friday of the same week.
To complete the process we (surplus) use a zero dollar Workday non-catalog request (like the zero dollar eRequest previously used) to complete the process. We (surplus) are still listed as an internal vendor (Surplus Material Disposal) and still require departments to provide a printed copy when picking up all items. There is a quick bullet point below that outlines the WD request process.
- Login to Workday
- Request to procure goods or services
- Create Requisition
- Select – Buckeye Buy
- Two choices – 1) request non-catalog items or 2) connect to supplier website
- Request Non-catalog
- Search vendor – “Surplus Property Disposal”
- Item line should read something like:
- 1 – Furniture - $0.00
- Then in the description please put:
- Table, desk, and chair for new grad student area (or whatever the items are for)
- Then in the description please put:
- 1 – Furniture - $0.00
- Please make sure to submit and save
As of November 2020, No Public Sales are being conducted until further notice.
Some items based on condition and market demand may be offered for sale to the public through auction on the internet using GovDeals.com. Using this process maximizes the return on OSU property and allows the public to bid on available items. Buyers must comply with the terms and conditions per the bid posting.
The OSU Surplus Department utilizes several recycling services. Recycling companies and used equipment dealers are enlisted to dispose of equipment not suitable for sale or transfer.
Although the OSU Surplus Department will make every effort to sell or recycle all surplus items received it will unfortunately be required to place some items for disposal as trash.
Disposal Request Categories
The following item descriptions have been created in SPMS to be selected for shredding services. Each item description below requires a separate entry into the DR. The Surplus department provides a free secure pick up service. Certificates of Destruction will be emailed to the person submitting the DR.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Extracted Hard Drives Including Server and External HD’s
- Hard Drives that have been removed from the computer to be shredded will have the serial number recorded and a Certificate of Destruction generated by the Surplus Department. If you have recorded the hard drive serial numbers for reconciliation purposes please email the data to Surplus in an Excel spreadsheet with the serial numbers in a single column. Send the file to email@example.com. The charge for shredding extracted hard drives is $4.00 ea.
Computers Containing Hard Drives
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Equipment Containing Hard Drives (computers / servers)
- Desktops and laptops containing Hard Drives to be shredded will have the asset tag number recorded on the COD and if there is no tag #, the serial number of the hard drive will be recorded once it is removed from the computer. There is no charge for shredding drives removed from the computer by Surplus employees if the rest of the computer is intact.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Tape Drives
- Drives must fit in an opening 2” X 5 1/8”. The charge for tape drive shredding is $4.00 ea.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Misc. (cell phones, flash drives, CD/DVD, floppy discs)
- These items will not have serial numbers recorded on the Certificate of Destruction. This includes tape drives, cell phones, flash drives, CD/DVD’s, floppy disks, and other media storage devices to be shredded. Please use a separate line for each sub category and insert the total in the Qty. field. The charge for shredding bulk storage media is $.45 per pound.
- Free pick up of items submitted on a Disposal Request
- Shredding of media storage devices including computer and server hard drives, tape drives, CD/DVD’s, flash drives, and cell phones.
- On-site sale of large equipment and property. This is usually conducted through public auction with equipment removal coordinated with the buyer and a department representative. An on-site sale typically requires 15 – 20 days to complete the process.
- Department rebate program. For items or projects providing a return greater than $5,000, there is potential for the department to receive a rebate based on the selling value of the items.
Items are received on Monday through Friday (except public sale day, the 3rd Tuesday of every month) 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. A Disposal Request must be submitted and a manifest of items transported must accompany deliveries.
New User Setup Steps
If your department doesn’t have an authorized person to enter Disposal Requests (DR), or you would like to become authorized to submit DR’s complete the training and request access through the following links:
If your department is not set up in the Surplus Property Management System to enter Disposal Requests, a department setup form will need submitted using the following link: