The Surplus Department is responsible for the disposition of Ohio State property in accordance with university policy. Methods of disposition include, department transfer, public sale, public auction, recycle, and trash. In order to manage the disposition and maximize the return services are provided as described below.
I want to...
Surplus Property System upgrades
New functionality for the Surplus Property System (SPS) is on the way, incorporating significant improvements to accessibility, ease of use and appearance. Equipment coordinators, asset managers and fiscal associates throughout the university are invited to take a BuckeyeLearn training course to learn more before the changeover in early June.
Items are made available for transfer to University departments on the first Monday of every month from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Department representatives can go to the Surplus warehouse and look for items they need. An eRequest for $0.00 is required to complete the transfer. All items must be removed from the warehouse by the Friday following the Monday transfer day. Transfers are made on a “first come” and “as-is” basis.
Public sales are conducted on the third Tuesday of every month from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Cash, checks and credit cards are accepted as payment for sales. Sales are made on a “first come” and “as-is” basis with no stated or implied warranty, and all sales are final. Unless exemption information is provided, all sales are subject to Ohio sales tax. Purchasers may place an intra-day hold on items to arrange payment or to secure appropriate transportation. These holds remain in effect until 3:00 PM. Items purchased must be removed from the surplus warehouse by the end of the business day.
Some items based on condition and market demand may be offered for sale to the public through auction on the internet using GovDeals.com. Using this process maximizes the return on OSU property and allows the public to bid on available items. Buyers must comply with the terms and conditions per the bid posting.
The OSU Surplus Department utilizes several recycling services. Recycling companies and used equipment dealers are enlisted to dispose of equipment not suitable for sale or transfer.
Although the OSU Surplus Department will make every effort to sell or recycle all surplus items received it will unfortunately be required to place some items for disposal as trash.
Disposal Request Categories
The following item descriptions have been created in SPMS to be selected for shredding services. Each item description below requires a separate entry into the DR. The Surplus department provides a free secure pick up service. Certificates of Destruction will be emailed to the person submitting the DR.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Extracted Hard Drives Including Server and External HD’s
- Hard Drives that have been removed from the computer to be shredded will have the serial number recorded and a Certificate of Destruction generated by the Surplus Department. If you have recorded the hard drive serial numbers for reconciliation purposes please email the data to Surplus in an Excel spreadsheet with the serial numbers in a single column. Send the file to email@example.com. The charge for shredding extracted hard drives is $4.00 ea.
Computers Containing Hard Drives
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Equipment Containing Hard Drives (computers / servers)
- Desktops and laptops containing Hard Drives to be shredded will have the asset tag number recorded on the COD and if there is no tag #, the serial number of the hard drive will be recorded once it is removed from the computer. There is no charge for shredding drives removed from the computer by Surplus employees if the rest of the computer is intact.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Tape Drives
- Drives must fit in an opening 2” X 5 1/8”. The charge for tape drive shredding is $4.00 ea.
- SPMS Item Description: Shredder Service – Misc. (cell phones, flash drives, CD/DVD, floppy discs)
- These items will not have serial numbers recorded on the Certificate of Destruction. This includes tape drives, cell phones, flash drives, CD/DVD’s, floppy disks, and other media storage devices to be shredded. Please use a separate line for each sub category and insert the total in the Qty. field. The charge for shredding bulk storage media is $.45 per pound.
- Free pick up of items submitted on a Disposal Request
- Shredding of media storage devices including computer and server hard drives, tape drives, CD/DVD’s, flash drives, and cell phones.
- On-site sale of large equipment and property. This is usually conducted through public auction with equipment removal coordinated with the buyer and a department representative. An on-site sale typically requires 15 – 20 days to complete the process.
- Department rebate program. For items or projects providing a return greater than $5,000, there is potential for the department to receive a rebate based on the selling value of the items.
Items are received on Monday through Friday (except public sale day, the 3rd Tuesday of every month) 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. A Disposal Request must be submitted and a manifest of items transported must accompany deliveries.
New User Setup Steps
If your department doesn’t have an authorized person to enter Disposal Requests (DR), or you would like to become authorized to submit DR’s complete the training and request access through the following links:
If your department is not set up in the Surplus Property Management System to enter Disposal Requests, a department setup form will need submitted using the following link:
2650 Kenny Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Monday - Friday
7:00am - 4:00pm
Public Sale Hours
8:00am - 3:30pm
third Tuesday of the month
Department Transfer Hours
7:30am - 3:30pm
first Monday of the month
Monday - Friday
7:30am - 3:00pm (except for public sale days)