PO Closure Process
The PO Closure Process is a manual process, which permanently relieves any encumbrance against a purchase order. PO Closure is FINAL - there is no reversal. Once marked, the Purchase Order will close immediately and return any encumbrance to the chartfield associated with the Purchase Order. Note: If the Purchase Order is not manually closed, the system will automatically close it after 365 days with no activity.
How do I get Self-Serve Access to close my unit's POs?
Self-Serve Access to close POs may be requested through Data Security. See: Service Center Business Process Instructions for PO Closure
When should the PO Closure Process be used?
The PO Closure process should only be used to release encumbrances on POs for which there is certainty that no further invoices (vouchers) are pending or forthcoming.
Who closed my PO?
To identify the user and timestamp for PO Closure, see Service Center Business Process Instructions for PO Closure. IMPORTANT! Review the following to determine if a Purchase Order is eligible for closure:
- Validate PO Status - must show DISPATCHED or APPROVED If PO Status shows Pending Approval, notify the associated buyer for this PO.
- Confirm Quantity Vouchered If the quantity vouchered is LESS than the quantity ordered, you must issue a change order in the Financials system in order to relieve the contractual obligations with the supplier before closing a Purchase Order (this may not apply to all PO Types).
- Verify Receipts are entered for all Capitalized and Tracked Non-capitalized Assets Receipts must be entered for ALL capitalized and tracked non-capitalized assets before closing a Purchase Order.
- Validate Amount Matched equals Amount Invoiced A Purchase Order cannot be closed if there is a match exception. Refer to the PO Activity Summary screen in the Financials system to verify amounts match before closing a Purchase Order.
- Check that Voucher Activity has occurred A Purchase Order cannot be closed if there is NO voucher activity; you must cancel the PO in the Financials system with a dispatched release to the supplier to relieve contractual obligations. Refer to the PO Activity Summary screen in the Financials system to verify voucher activity before closing a Purchase Order.