What if I filed the wrong tax return in a previous year and need to file an amended tax return?

If you find out now that in a past tax year you filed the wrong tax return, you must correct the previously filed tax return (that contains incorrect information) by filing an amended tax return. You may not simply lump the incorrect amounts from a previous tax year onto this year’s tax return – each tax year must be separate and correct. To file an amended tax return:

1. Go to www.irs.gov

2. Print BOTH a Form 1040-X and a Form 1040NR for the tax year that you wish to file an amended tax return. Be sure to also get the instructions for the preparation of that year’s Form 1040NR as the tax rates and exemption amounts may be different for each tax year;

3. Complete a NEW Form 1040NR with the correct information (what you should have put on your original incorrect tax return) and write “AMENDED” on the top of each page of the new tax return;

4. On Form 1040-X simply complete the following:

  1. Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X;
  2. Do not enter any other information on page 1. Also, do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X;
  3. Do not enter any other information on page 1. Also, do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  4. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

5. Submit the Form 1040-X, with the new amended Form 1040NR, along with a copy of the original incorrect tax return (marked "Original as Filed". Note that ALL Nonresident Alien tax returns, included amended tax returns, must be sent to the following address:

  • Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301-021

6. Please allow 16 weeks for Form 1040X to be processed. You may track the status of your amended return at the IRS website. It can take up to 3 weeks from the date you mailed the amended return to show up in the IRS system. Please visit www.irs.gov and click on “Tools” and then on “Where's My Amended Return.” You will need to provide the following information:

  1. Your Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN or ITIN);
  2. Your date of birth; and
  3. Your ZIP code.