Travel process - PSSC
An individual is considered in travel status when traveling on official university business whether or not expenses are to be paid by the university. The Ohio State University will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred by faculty, staff, students and eligible guests for authorized business travel on behalf of The Ohio State University. The university’s Travel Policy outlines the policy and processes for traveling on behalf of the university.
Travel should be planned, estimated, and approved prior to the trip. A Pre-trip Travel authorization should generally be entered into the university’s travel system – eTravel.osu.edu.
Types of Travel
An individual is in travel status when traveling on official university business on behalf of the university. All travelers are required to get pre-approval for business travel and its estimated costs. If the individual desires the university to make advanced payments using university procurement methods (PO, PCard), they must obtain a “T” number via the eTravel syste
- Any number of students traveling to the same location, during the same time period, for the same university purpose and are NOT receiving separate reimbursement. This could include faculty/staff serving in a supervisory capacity.
- Employees who are traveling to the same location, during the same time period, for the same university purpose and are having 1 individual cover all the costs of the trip for the entire group.
If the planned trip meets one of the criteria listed above, you may follow the group travel processes. If it does not meet the above definition, you must follow the individual travel process. Any questions can be referred to your department’s business office or the PSSC.
- PSSC Travel Expense Form instructions – Instructions on filling out the travel expense template
- PSSC Travel Post-Trip Expense Report – Writable PDF for documenting travel expenses post trip.
- Travel Process – Prepayment PCard Methods process flow – process flow for prepayments for travel related expenses utilizing a University Pcard
- Travel Process – Prepayment Non PCard Methods process flow – process flow for prepayments for travel related expenses ustilizing other procurement methods
- Travel Process – Payment Process – process flow for requesting and submitting travel payments
- Practice Aid – Vacation in conjunction with business travel
- Travel Comparison Form