Additional Financial Services

Human Subject Payments 


Checking Account - OSP Funding Source  

Monetary payments to persons participating in research projects (human subjects) managed by the Office of Sponsored Programs can be made through cash disbursements, prepaid cards, and checks.

The Office of Sponsored Programs assists research directors and principal investigators to develop the optimal payment program for their research study.

Project funding is managed through the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).  For information regarding participation in a research project, please contact the Office of Sponsored Programs.


To establish an OSP human subject bank checking account

1. Funding forms or miscellaneous payee/payment questions

For questions regarding necessary forms or documents for grant funds should be directed to,

Office of Sponsored Programs
4th Floor Research Foundation Building
960 Kenny Rd
Columbus, OH 43210

For questions regarding the process of setting up a miscellaneous payment or payee please visit the Adminstrative Resource Center,

Specifically for Workday related job aids visit,

2. Submit documents to open a checking account 

Once funding is approved and a miscellaneous payee and miscellaneous payment have been created and approved in Workday a request for a checking account can occur.

Initial funding for any OSP human subject study must be a check. Following the opening of the human subject checking account all future disbursement through miscellaneous payments may be set-up for electronic deposit to the research subject checking account. 

Please send the following information to Treasury when requesting a new checking account,

  1. Grant name and grant number/worktag 

  2. Initial funding amount 

  3. Listing of names and email addresses for each signer on the account

  4. Approximate length of study


Human Subject Advance - University Funding Source 

If you are seeking a university funded advance to pay subjects with cash you are not required to work through Treasury. 

You will need to request the advance through the miscellaneous payments process in Workday. 

If you are unsure who has the appropriate roles in your college or unit to create a miscellaneous payment request, please reach out to your SFO. 

Any questions regarding the miscellaneous payment process should be directed to Accounts Payable. 

Your advanced funds are required to be secured per policy requirements.