PCard Process - PSSC
PCard (or Procurement Card) is a method of purchasing whereby an individual, department, or the service center may use a credit card to procure goods and/or services on behalf of the university. The charges are recorded directly to the general ledger.
There are different types of card based on the needs of the individual and the department. Full details are listed in the PCard policy.
- Individual card – issued to an individual, in their name
- Department card – issued to a department and managed by a PCard manager
- Service Center card – issued to a service center for high dollar transactions. This card is not to be shared outside of service center employees
- Group/Extended Travel (GET) – issued to an individual and is only valid for a specific trip.
Tips for using a PCard
- Make sure to get the itemized receipts
- Ask for sales tax to be removed
- If actual cost of the transactions is greater than 20% over the estimated approved amount, with a $10 minimum, we will ask for additional approval
Paying for meals
The expenditure policy allows for a maximum 20% tip on meals using university funds or that will be reimbursed
- If the tip amount exceeds 20% but is <$1 over the 20% tip maximum, this will be acceptable without an exception.
- If the tip amount exceeds 20% and is >$1, an exception should be documented or the card user should reimburse the university for the excessive amount. Note: Consideration should be given to the labor costs associated with depositing small amounts of money in order to avoid documenting an exception.
When calculating a tip at a restaurant, look for service fees or automatic gratuities on the bill. If the automatic gratuity is 18%, the maximum to add is 2% of the meal costs (not 2% of the meal costs plus the automatic gratuity amount).
Handling differences between the bank feed and the receipt
If the difference is
- <$1, the difference is de minimus
- Between $1 and $10, we will notify the department
- >$10, we will ask the department to investigate
- If there is a specific list, we will follow-up
- If the list is more generic, we will ask for a flyer or invitation to capture the group invited
- PCard Overview – Provides an overview of the entire p-card process, system accesses, required training, and important links related to University PCard (all types)
- PCard Tracking Log – PSSC revised tracking log used to track who checks out the card (Department card use)
- PCard Service Center Card Process Flow – Process for when the PSSC Service Center cards is being used for a purchase
- PCard Reallocation and Approval Process Flow – Process for the reallocation and Approval process (PSSC function)
- PCard Manager Training Tips – Tips and Best Practices for being a PCard Manager
- PCard Maintenance Process Flow – Process for requesting maintenance on a PCard
- PCard Individual PCard Process Flow – Process for using an Individual PCard
- PCard Department Card Process Flow – Process for using a Department PCard
- PCard Application (new) – Process for applying for a new PCard (all types)
- PSSC PCard Reallocator & Approver List (REV. 9-9-2020)